Environmental Paradiplomacy

The film aims to explain the role of paradiplomacy in addressing global environmental problems and focuses on Sao Paolo’s involvement to voice its environmental concerns and interests.

Joana SetzerThe Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment, says “In my research, I look at how regional, local and non-central governments become involved in international relationsby forming informal ties to address global environmental problems; what I call environmental paradiplomacy. In particular I look at the international environmental agenda undertaken by the Brazilian state of Sao Paulo between 1995-2010: (i) How does it evolve? (ii) What determines it? (iii) What are the governance consequences on a domestic level?

Methods

My project is mostly qualitative, based on interview data.

I also consider some quantitative data regarding the environmental agreements signed by the state of Sao Paulo with other subnational governments (e.g. in the US, Europe), as well as participation of state representatives in international environmental negotiations (e.g. Climate and Biodiversity)

Findings so far…

There are two types of environmental paradiplomatic activities (collaboration and coalition), through which a local, regional or non-central government becomes a transnational actor with transnational agency.

Design by Katie Hunt, MA in Graphic Design, LCC

Katie produced two films about Joana’s project.  She describes the process of producing the first film in her Visual Summary.  You can view the first film here

Find out what else Katie is up to by visiting her blog

One response to “Environmental Paradiplomacy”

1. I loved up to you will obtain carried out right here. The caricature is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nevertheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you would like be turning in the following. ill certainly come more formerly again as exactly the same just about a lot regularly within case you protect this hike.